Thursday, Dec 27 2012
- 5 am, Ft. Lauderdale (Florida): my alarm is ringing, time to wake up and take the cab to the airport. I’m trying very hard not to wake up my kids in this “small” motorhome. 10 days ago we started our tour of Florida and were all sitting in Key West… but now I’m finally headed to Texas. I have been looking forward to this wedding for a long time – after over 50 weddings this year this one will be the grand closing.
- 5.30 am: Kissing my wife and the kids “goodbye” (they woke up anyway) and my daughter is telling me through tears that I need to be back in 3 days
- 5.40 am: the yellow cab arrives, on the road…
- 6 am: security check in Ft. Lauderdale, all my cameras and photo equipment are being screened and I’m getting weird looks from the guard – the guy can’t figure out why I would need so much camera equipment. But I’m so happy with my new photographer’s carry-on bag from thinktank… I will even be able to carry it onto the small Embraer 145 airplane!
- 7.53 am: the 737 is taking off towards Houston
- 10.30 am: eating a sandwich at Schlotzky’s in Houston airport, hm, tastes different from the Jung sandwiches at Bahnhof Enge
- 11.57 am: the small Embraer is ready to take off to McAllen – did I ever tell you that I HATE small airplanes?
- 1.10 pm: 2 minutes to landing, McAllen already looks exciting from the top
- 1.35 pm: my check-in luggage is delayed and will come with the next flight. Once again I’m silently thanking Thinktank for their carry-on bag and that I have my photo gear with me!
- 2.00 pm: the hotel shuttle arrives, also the driver speaks to me in Spanish. Seems like everyone here thinks I’m Mexican…
- 2.15 pm: wow, what a beautiful hotel! Thanks, Steph and Alex for taking such good care of me!
- 4 pm: Meeting Steph and Alex. They invite me for a pre-wedding dinner with their close relatives at the most famous restaurant in town. Looking forward to it…
- 7 pm: after a stroll through the city and a good shower, I’m ready for a real Mexican dinner.
- 8 pm: what a nice family! They are so generous and hospitable! It is a great pleasure to see everyone celebrate and be happy, and an even greater pleasure that they let me to be part of it.
- 8.30 pm: 4 guys with guitars and a lady in a traditional Mexican dress are entering and start playing excellent Mariacchi music. What a nice gift from the bride’s father!
- 11 pm: back at the hotel. Checking again everything for tomorrow’s wedding, now that I met the entire family I’m even more excited!
Friday, Dec 28 2012
- 8 am: the wedding day has started…
Saturday, Dec. 29 2012:
- Sometime after midnight: the wedding is finished. What a great day it was! Surely, I will never forget this one… Thank you Stephanie, thank you Alex, thank you to all your amazing relatives. This wedding was the perfect closing for this year!
And now I am looking forward to many great weddings in 2013…